Coláiste Muire Guidance Website
The Guidance & Counselling Department of Coláiste Muire, in keeping with the schools Mission Statement, has a remit to help students make informed personal, educational and career decisions, set realistic personal and career goals and develop the skills necessary to accomplish these goals. The service also offers students support in coping with personal problems or academic concerns. Guidance and counselling is an integral part of our school’s educational provision and at the core of Coláiste Muire’s guidance plan is a deep commitment to the well-being of each individual student.Guidance refers to the range of learning experiences to allow students make informed decisions about their lives and encompasses the three areas of Personal, Educational and Career Guidance.
The Guidance Department is part of the pastoral care structure in the school and works with the Principal, Deputy Principal, Year Heads, Class Teachers, The Religion Department, Special Education Needs Team, The Home School Community Liaison Officer, and other ourside agencies to provide a support service for students.
The Guidance & Counselling Department provides an “Open Door” policy to students, parents and teachers. All students are informed of the service provided at the beginning of each year and are encouraged to avail of it. Students can request an appointment and /or referrals, on behalf of students, can also be made by teachers and parents.
Information for students
As a student you will make significant decisions while still at school. These choices are related to personal and social issues, educational issues and career issues. Guidance Counsellors are trained professionals with the expertise and knowledge to help you make choices in the three important areas outlined above. We do this through individual consultation, guidance classes and other activities.
The Guidance Department do not make decisions for you but guide you to reach decisions yourself.
Throughout your years at Coláiste Muire, the Guidance Department will undertake with you some or all of the following:
- Help you to explore your feelings about your present life situation.
- Explore with you choices open to you and the consequences of each choice.
- Help you to discover solutions to any problems you may be experiencing.
- Offer confidential counselling and/or advice on issues of a personal nature.
- Give you information on various educational and training courses and/or employment opportunities.
- Organise classroom activities where you prepare a CV, Letter of application and Mock Interview.
- Give you advice and help on study and examination techniques.
- Carry out Assessment and Aptitude Testing and Career Interest Inventories.
- Explain to you, and your parents the CAO system and assist with application.
- Give you information on studying abroad.
Click on the links below to access information on Junior Cycle Subjects
5th Year Subject Choice
Click on the subject below to find out more
Click on the links below to access information on 5th year Subjects
Proudly supporting College Awareness Week 22nd-26th November
National Framework of Qualifications
Telephone: (071) 9183086 Fax: (071) 9189210 RCN: 20204966
Emails: General Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org Principal: email@example.com Deputy Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org